Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's a conundrum

So I woke up on this Easter morning and immediately began to surf around my favorite sites expecting to read game day set ups and recaps of the Franzen signing. But no, I was hit with something a bit more confusing this morning when I went over to see what the Chief had to say.


I am sure everyone has already seen his take on the Jim Matheson write up and interview with Hossa's agent. Below is what Winter had to say.


'"Hossa is going nowhere. His cap hit will be in the $6-million range. “I will tell you this: despite what people are saying, the salary cap in Detroit will definitely be no impediment to Marian signing there,” said Winter.'


After reading this I felt like maybe it was a personal gift to all of Detroit from baby Jesus. I immediately began to envision Gary Bitchman crying, whimpering, and blubbering on his baby boy's shoulder wondering where it all went wrong....how could this possibly happen??


I began the run down in my head of who I should call first on this Easter morning to share the news....but during these thoughts I was multitasking and was reading the rest of what the Chief had to say, and he hit us with this.


Edit: I just read that Winter quote again over at Malik’s. And something’s nagging at me. Look at it again, then try something else on for size.


“I will tell you this: despite what people are saying, the salary cap in Detroit will definitely be no impediment to Marian signing there,” said Winter
It could be read another way.



Like, “If Marian Hossa decides not to stay in Detroit, it won’t be because of the salary cap.”


Damn. Like ass rape on the first day of a prison sentence. He may be right. It was a very riddle me this moment from Rich Winter. Why does he have to play with our emotions like this?


I think it's now time to convince Hossa to say. Quick, someone get him a cookie, a glass of milk, and a customized Snuggie...no that's not enough? Ok let's see I'd like to have Samulesson with the palm leaf, Happy feeding Marian the grapes and for good measure parade Ericsson around in front of him.....because I think the mandatory Michigan man crush on Big E has now transferred to the team.....I don't know whatever will work right?

But in all seriousness, the chief makes a good point. However, if Hossa really wants to win a cup, where do you think his best chances are going to be? Even if heaven forbid it doesn't work out this season, the Wings still have 11 banners hanging. The most recent from 2002 and 2008. Hossa will have a good 8-10 years left in his career. I think it's time for him to consider where he will be most competitive each year.....and I am sure he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment