Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tuesday Night Story.....Ozzie and Sammy

Damn, that was a tough one to watch. This is how I was expecting to them to play in game one....not game two. They looked tired and the Anaheim series seemed to finally catch up to them. Even Babcock admitted in his post game interview that they didn't have the legs tonight.

Chicago on the other hand. Well I think they gave all they had. Toews and Kane were split up, and they established a much stronger forecheck. This may be close to the top of the Hawks game, which I'm sure makes the loss even tougher. (By the way, it made me giggle like Mickey Redmond watching Campbell try not to cry in the post game interview. Am I bitch for that...yep, sorry buddy, no there's no crying in hockey.) I will say the way Chicago lost is so similar to situations the Wings have been in the past. They dominate...and yet lose.

I said in my pregame post how important it would be for the Wings to come out strong in the first. And either due to exhaustion or complacency, or maybe a little of both, they let the Hawks dominate the first period. When they did finally get the puck into the Hawks zone, they turned it over quickly and seemed to have difficulty establishing puck possession.

But in the Wings defense it is extremely difficult to establish any sort of flow or momentum when you are being given ridiculous penalties and have to kill a 5 on 3....again. I can't begin to explain the inconsistencies in the officiating..and I'm sure both sides could agree on that.

Somehow the Wings once again kill off the 5 on 3, but Samulesson fails to clear the puck and Chicago scores in the last minute of the second penalty. The Hawks scoring first seems to be a trend I would like to break as much as the Wings allowing at least one pp goal a game. I believe they're at 11 in a row now.

A few other random thoughts about the game, I don't think the top line could buy a goal. They did everything possible and nothing was going in. Dangle Dangle had a decent game, but it seems as though the Hawks took some notes from Anaheim on how to shut down Datsyuk. This was also the first game where it seemed to be frustrating him. He was still great defensively but seemed to be trying to do too much in the offensive zone. As soon as he settles down and simplifies that part of his game, he will have to begin scoring at some point. Right? Right?

Hossa seemed to play much better. He drove hard to the net, backchecked, and worked for the puck in the corner. He didn't score either, but his play was noticeable and beneficial. If he keeps that effort up, the pucks will go in for him soon.....right? I hate to say it, but right now he's really not making the case to be resigned. I didn't think it was possible for Holland to prove his intelligence any more, but signing Mule over Hossa, well done. Unlike all other teams in the playoffs, Detroit has made it through based on their depth....time to send out a search party for their superstars scoring touch. Babcock, lead the way.

Rafalski showed once again why he is so vital on the PP and scored the tying goal for the Wings. Homer of course was flashing Khabibulin with his ass and that made a huge (pun intended) difference. Although after Rafalski took a hard hit in the second he didn't seem to be the same. On Lidstrom's second penalty (yes I said second fucking penalty, it was that kind of game) Rafalski lost his stick and really seemed to be laboring to get back. I just hope he's ok and the extra day off gives him time to recover. Quite frankly I'm not sure I can handle another game with Chelios in the line up...especially against this fast Hawks team.

When the Wings failed to establish any sort of forecheck after Cleary's breakaway goal, and the Hawks still seemed to be the stronger team, I was worried they would be going to Chicago tied 1-1.

I would also like to say, thank baby Jesus the Wings don't have one of those pesky elite goaltenders to worry about. I mean for fucks sake, are they kidding?? Ozzie once again showed why he is an elite goaltender. If it weren't for him making BOTH the necessary saves as well as being guilty of utter robbery, the Wings would have easily lost, in fact it could have been over in the first. But I guess luckily for the Wings, they don't have to worry about a quality goaltender. Nope instead they have Osgood who allowed them to steal this game. And on a side note, I love how during the pregame Versus insisted that due to Ozzie's temper, if Chicago simply stands in front of him they'll eventually force him off his game. Yeah that's about as valid as the theory of hitting Lidstrom. You think no one's thought of that before? True Ozzie has a temper, but he tends to harness it and use it in a positive way. That's why he's such a strong mental goalie. And really, everyone at some point is going to get pissed the fuck off. Doesn't mean they have a nasty temper. Not everyone's Lidstrom who you could probably kick his dog and he still wouldn't yell.

Cleary, Stuart, Helm, and of course Lidstrom all had great games.

Ericsson on the other hand had his second game in a row where he looked like a rookie. Apparently he is in fact human. I'm sure he'll be able to readjust.

When the Hawks tied the game up late in the third I had an impending feeling of doom. I assumed the Wings had lost it. The effort wasn't there. I think we witnessed a C game overall. And it was certainly disappointing.

So when they went to overtime I had Deja Vu and knew that I wouldn't be able to make it through a multiple overtime game again. Luckily Samuelsson of all people made sure that wouldn't happen. After a Hawks turnover in the Wings zone, cry baby Campbell I believe, Hudler broke away and carried the puck into the Chicago zone, passed to Filppula, who then dropped it back to Samulesson for the game winner. It was the perfect goal. A beautifully executed play.

Afterwards the Wings swarmed Samuelsson like he was a girl visiting an all boys European boarding school. Great game and moment for Sammy. My guess on his ability to turn his game around, he was jealous Ozzie was the only one telling everyone to shut the fuck up so he wanted in on the action. I think I may have to be the first person to eat the shit I spewed about him.

Overall during this game, whether it was fatigue or indifference, I'm leaning towards being worn the fuck out, the Wings only gave a 50% effort. Which means if I'm Chicago I'd be wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do now? Last night, everyone not named Lidstrom, seemed to give Kane too much room and too much respect. With Chicago having the last change they will need to correct this.

Going to Chicago on Friday, the crowd will be a huge factor, and I honestly believe the Hawks are too young and too stupid to have any fear at this point. Watching them through the playoffs (and seeing them tie up both games in the third period) I think it would be safe to call them the comeback kids as opposed to the NKOB. They'll come out skating hard, with these two losses well behind them. But remember their cute little commercial Detroit, insulting the Octopus and all of your long held traditions? And even though they probably can't spell octopus, before the playoffs even started they insulted you, kicked you in the balls, and they have every intention of going to the finals. The Wings will need to rest up today, on their day off, and come out strong, especially in the first 10 minutes of Friday's game. The key for Detroit will be to at least split the games in Chicago. Please???

3 comments:

  1. "I would also like to say, thank baby Jesus the Wings don't have one of those pesky elite goaltenders to worry about. I mean for fucks sake, are they kidding?? Ozzie once again showed why he is an elite goaltender. If it weren't for him making BOTH the necessary saves as well as being guilty of utter robbery, the Wings would have easily lost, in fact it could have been over in the first."

    YES

    ReplyDelete
  2. JB said, "...and I honestly believe the Hawks are too young and too stupid to have any fear at this point."

    Yep! And that's a scary thought. Even though the Wings are a crafty and resilient team, sometimes, they do get outplayed.

    Coach Babcock says that Maltby will be in for Abbadawhackforthedaddyol on Friday's match. I think Babcock doesn't want rookie mistakes in a playoff road game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Coach Babcock says that Maltby will be in for Abbadawhackforthedaddyol on Friday's match. I think Babcock doesn't want rookie mistakes in a playoff road game."

    SYF, I agree with you. I think the energy in Chicago will be so intense he's worried about Abdelkader's reaction. Maltby should be able to handle it...just hope he's not too rusty and can keep up with Draper and Helm.

    ReplyDelete