Friday, October 30, 2009

Well that was delightful

Wow. The Wings have got to stop playing the first two periods like that. It's brutal, painful, and a terrible shit storm. I have my entire reaction here. Although at this point anything I write seems pointless....

With Filppula out 6-8 weeks with a broken wrist, I throw my hands in the fucking air. I don't know what else to say. Last night when I first heard the delightful news, this was my response. Sorry, but my initial reaction hasn't changed much.

All I know for sure is Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be split up again, and as expected Holland has no intention of calling up anymore forwards. And my guess, he will stay the coarse and refuse to make any trades.

Here's what Lidstrom had to say:

“We have to bear down and play even better,” Nicklas Lidstrom said. “We have to play even better defensively and be more conscious in our own zone, especially when you’re losing some of the forwards that are going to contribute offensively. Missing him, he’s a very important part of our team.”

Everyone in the Wings organization has been saying that all through October, the Wings blogosphere has been shouting it in Kanye West style all caps since the first game...and yet it hasn't happened. Excuses are running out, players are going down, and something needs to change, needs to happen and fast.

It seems as though they are running scared. That cool, confident swagger is dissipating. I understand there are a lot of new faces, but there is also a large veteran presence. Lidstrom, Maltby, Draper, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Rafalski...it's time for them to push the young guys through this. With Franzen down and now Filppula, it's trial by fire. Do or die, basically every cliche you can think of.

This team of Champions needs to pull their collective head out of their ass and use this second injury, another set back, as motivation for a record breaking November.

The talent is, the ability is there. We have seen it in the last two third periods they played. It's time to translate that throughout entire games. Pick it up boys.

Filppula had this to say about his injury:

“I feel terrible, but nothing I can do now,” Filppula said.

Yeah you know what, I feel fucking terrible about it too. It's time for the rest of the Wings to do something about it.....

1 comment:

  1. Ready, Set, Vomit! That's what this season has become. The problems leftover from last season are magnified now. Ugh, the news about Filppula is just horrible. He was off to such a great start and I was loving his play.

    ReplyDelete