First and foremost, Kirk Maltby has decided to retire after a long, committed, and hardworking career as a Red Wing. Growing up he was always one of my favorite Wings. Mostly because he was a huge pain in the ass, like myself, and he thoroughly enjoyed irritating his opponents. But more than being the quintessential agitator, he was a huge part of the heart and soul of the Red Wings. A grinder, who had timely goals, and played an influential role in his 4 Stanley cups. A player who instilled this same work ethic, attitude, and loyalty into the next generation of Red Wings. Thank you Kirk Maltby and best of luck in your new role.
Secondly, we found out that Rafalski had his knee scoped and will be out the next 3-4 weeks. Certainly not the news we were looking to hear. I'd lie if I didn't admit to have night sweats and horrible flash backs to last year. When the season started, it was clear the forward lines were stacked and I would gladly put any of those lines up against any other team. But the defense had question marks. The top 4 were set, but then there's Ericsson and Kindl. Throw in the Rafalski and Ericsson injuries and the Wings get the heavy weight champ that is Janik. This could make for an interesting few weeks. But more on that later.
If you couldn't tell the title of my blog was incredibly sarcastic. One loss is no reason to panic. But it does show some holes in the defense and some areas the Wings could certainly improve upon. A team of that caliber shouldn't have issues with the fucking Colorado Avalanche.
But anywho, let's jump right into the post game recap:
- After once again rushing home to catch the game just in time, I turn on the allusive piece of crap that is Versus to catch Eddie O stating "This is a dynasty." No he wasn't talking about each and everyone of his overly coiffed hair follicles, he was in fact referring to the Wings. That smug bastard jinxed us...mother fucker.....
- Next Versus breaks to McCarty nearly chocking on live TV while attempting to make a funny about his time playing with Maltby. I've always been a McCarty fan and I'm happy to see he's doing something he enjoys, but I will not pretend that it's not difficult to watch at times.
- 2 1/2 minutes into the first period the Mule scores. Silly, cocky me, then settled into what I thought would be another good old fashion ass kicking.
- Through the first part of the first period, Kronwall was joining the rush at exactly the right time and Zetterberg and Datsyuk seemed to be clicking. My cocky attitude also began to rise.
- Cut to the Crosby commercial discussing his Penguins being a "dynasty".... what the fu....wait nevermind, that may be the most brilliant and perfect weight loss commercial ever.
- During the various Maltby clips (sometimes Versus does get it right) I quickly realized I'll never get to hear Mickey Redmond refer to Maltby as a "50 goal score in juniors." Now that is enough to make a grown girl cry. Sad.
- Janik gets into a "fight." It was so sad and so pathetic I actually feel bad making fun of him. Yes I feel bad....if you didn't see it that should tell you all you need to know.
- Then Colorado scores. But with Zetterberg and Datsyuk looking strong at the end of the first my high level of cocky is maintained.
- Filppula had a strong game. He made some nice plays, was shooting much more, and was strong on the puck. It's been a good start to the season for him. Please, please, please keep it up.
- Detroit gets a PP despite the "well informed" announcers going on and on about how it should have also been a highsticking penalty on the Wings. Did Modano's stick hit the face of a Colorado beauty? Sure did. In fact it did so at the very moment he was being hooked to the ice. So yes, shut the fuck up.
- Either way, Zetterberg and Datsyuk end the power play early with a beautiful Datsyuk redirect. Now that was Red Wings hockey folks.
- Soon after the Avs almost score if not for a big Howard save.
- The Perfect Human has a great 2 on 1 chance with Homer (who was rather invisible tonight) The play Lidstrom made is just another example of how he makes everything look so easy.
- Supposedly Filppula takes a penalty. I merely saw it as Colorado keeping up with their storied history of diving.
- Wings were out shot all night. However, they did make some good opportunities for themselves.
- My notes go from "Great save by Jimmy" to "Weak goal by Jimmy" and back again. The defense needs to tighten up and eliminate some of those chances.
- Franzen scores his second goal. What more can you possibly say about him?
- Hudler and Cleary had a few good scoring opportunities, but other than that the 3rd line struggled. They weren't clicking and they need to find some chemistry soon. If for no other reason but to prevent the other lines from getting shuffled around.
- It was 3-1 Wings at this point so when I hear the following "Detroit now playing THEIR possession game." I immediately feel that cocky feeling pick right back up despite less than stellar play from the Wings.
And then the third period came. Giveaways, poor defensive play, and some week goals gave Colorado an overtime victory. blah. It was uninspired and certainly not Red Wings hockey. But it was one game at the beginning of the season and I expect them to come back strong on Thursday. And especially Saturday, when they're here in Sunny Arizona and I get to watch them first hand kick some Coyote ass.